Purpose of Site

I, Wallace Haws, am solely responsible for the content of this site. The purpose of the site is to make it easier for me to share what I have found in researching my ancestors with family members so we are not repeating the same steps each generation, over and over again, but rather that each generation can build upon the previous generation. I hope as family members read this, they will want to share what they are learning with other family members. Please do not hesitate to contact me on this blog or at my email address: wallace_haws@msn.com

Friday, October 21, 2011

Why I do genealogy

Family History efforts can be both fun and frustrating.  I worked for years off and on and in 2000 I started searching for my ancestors in earnest because I wanted to take those names to the Temple.  I searched in vain and one night I threw my papers across the room, closed my computer down and told the Lord I was done.  That night I slept peacefully and in the morning as clear as a bell I had these thoughts which have motivated me ever since.
1.  "The worth of souls is great in the sight of God.  If I should labor all the days of my life and bring save it be one soul into the Kingdom of God--it is worth the effort--great shall be my joy".  Family history research is difficult, but worth it!
2.  Because of the miracle of newfamilysearch, I can join with others to present a Book Worthy of All Acceptation of the Lord.  That is, I can start with myself and go back one person at a time improving the pedigree of the family of Adam.  This means, that even if the Temple ordinances are completed I can go one person at a time doing the following:

  • Correcting incorrect information in nfs
  • Adding new "events" and documentation to each event in nfs
  • Putting a "Watch" on those people I do research on so I can begin to collaborate with others.
3.  Learn as much as I can about each person going back in my pedigree.  Things about their life, the events of history of the times in which they lived, and the forces that were moving my ancestors for here to there.  When I die, I will know something about my ancestors and be anxious to converse with them.

Also, I believe participating in family history work, sparks the Spirit of Elijah in my life and the lives of my children.  I and my children will have greatter faith in God and be more willing to keep his commandments becuase we will want to be worthy to receive inspiration and to be able to participate in the saving ordinances in the Temple.
So why do I do family history research:

  1. Because of the worth of the souls of my ancestors as well as my own.
  2. To assist in preparing a record worthy of acceptation to the Lord.
  3. To increase my knowledge of and appreciation history, places, and people of times past.
  4. Because I know I and my children will be more worthy and faithful by participating in this work.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this is so great! I can't wait to explore the whole site.
    Another great reason to do family history is to get your kids involved. Studies have shown that kids need a sense of history in order to keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marci. That is another great reason to do family history. I have added it to the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great summary of reasons to do family history. I liked your story.

    ReplyDelete